So you have this awesome idea that you really want to see as an iPhone/Android App.
How can you make the App a reality? At Calmon IT we are always hearing this question, so thought you may find some basic steps helpful when creating your own iPhone or Android Application.
SECRET STUFF If it's a new idea and there are no other Apps like yours or you don't want anyone to copy your idea before you get a chance to get it out there, then you better keep it a secret until you have organised a Confidentiality Agreement that you ask potential Investors, and Developers to sign before presenting the idea to them.
THE NITTY GRITTY So how are you going to best describe your idea to others? It time to go crazy with your dream list.
Write down all you want the App to do and make a few drawings showing the different screen functions. You can use the old fashioned way - paper and pencil or if you have a technical bent then use a wireframe/mockup tool like balsamiq. Define the details of your fledgling idea by using the following questions as a guide:
- what do you want the App to do
- why do you want the App to do this
- what will be different as you move from screen to screen
- who is your target audience
- why would people want it
- sketch a rough layout of your main screens
- graphics - do you have that sorted or will you need help (yes, we'd love to help)
- free or paid - what sort of app are you making and if for sale how much can you sell it for
- key words - what words will you use to describe your App and what words will people use when searching for your App
- category - which area in the App Shop will best suites your products ie. productivity, lifestyle, education
- iPhone, Android or both you or the developer - who is going to look after your App when it's out 'in-the-market-place"
- budget - how much are you willing to spend
- time frames - when did you want this App to be available
- social networks - are you using any and if so which ones
- website - will your App be linked to a website
- management statistics - did you want these
Now you have a very valuable document filled with details that can make your dream idea for an Phone App into reality. Doesn't it feel good to have your ideas solidified with most of the details sorted. "Oh Yeah!..." I can hear you saying.
With memory stick or files in hand, you are ready to talk to the mysterious people called Developers. They will be impressed with your understanding of what you want and will be able to provide a much more comprehensive quote for the work they will be doing, to make your dream come true. This sort of preparation will put you ahead of the rest in getting your product into the market place. Well done . . . now . . . where are those Developers?
MAGICAL MAGICIANS (DEVELOPERS), SOFTWARE HOUSE COSTS AND TIMEFRAMES
Of cause we'd love you to come to us here at Calmon IT for the development of your iPhone or Android App and once you have provided us with 'The Nitty Gritty" we can provide you with a quote and time frames.
However, like most things in this 3-D reality there are many roads to choose from, and all should lead to your App 'in-the-market-place'. Unless you're a frequent overseas traveler and can readily communicate with the Software House and check on the progress of your Application as it is developed we would recommend you keep your money on shore. Find a business that has been doing Applications for a while, one you can visit if you want and that can provide examples of their work. Call clients that have used the magical skills of the Software Houses you are researching and find out if their style of development suites your needs.
WHAT YOU'LL GET WITH US
- We quote a·fixed price from the information you have provided and will not be adding extra costs unless you are adding extra functionality. (Of cause we would discuss thoroughly with you and have agreement before progressing but in most cases we have not had that worry with our clients.)
- We provide regular updates on your Application as it develops. These are in the form of a download so that you can install and view the App on your phone as it develops and discuss progress.
- We provide realistic time frames. How long the take will depend on the complexity of the development but usually between 4 to 6 weeks.
- When the final approval is given we upload your new App onto the appropriate Application store when it has been approved and 'go-live'.
- We provide optional ongoing Support for your Application if you want to make changes or add extra functionality later down the track but you are not locked into anything after the App project is complete.
In summary, the most important thing you will get from taking these steps is an AWESOME iPhone or Android Applications that started out as a little "what if" idea!
So get started, it's lots of fun and let me know how you go.